words that conjoin things - they connect sentences
and parts of a sentence. This unit deals with
five conjunctions: and, but, or,
so and because.
And is oftne used
to join nouns, for example:
- I like spaghetti and pizza.
And is also used to show time sequence, for
- I ate spaghetti for lunch and pizza for dinner.
But is used to show
an exception or conflict. For example:
- I like spaghetti, but I don't like hamburgers.
Or is used to show
choice, for example:
- You can eat spaghetti or pizza for dinner.
So is used to show
the result of something. For example:
- I like all Italian food, so I like pizza.
So can also be used give additional information,
- I like Italian food, and so does my brother.
Because is used to
show the cause of something. For example:
- I eat a lot of pizza because I like it.
- I study English because I want a good job.
There are many other
specific usages of the above conjunctions, but
they usually center around the main concepts
outlined here. Now try using some conjunctions
with the follwoing exercises.