The structure "as...as"
is used to compare things that are equal. For
- Jennifer is 163cm and Tony is 163cm. Jennifer
is as tall as Tony.
- This house is 40 years old, that house is
also 40 years old. This house is as old as
- Bach's music is as good as Mozart's.
- Spring is as warm as fall.
"as...as" can also be used in negatives
and questions. For example:
The Amazon isn't as long as the Nile.
The second movie wasn't as good as the
Is Japan as expensive as England?
can also be used to show an extreme amount.
- "Eat as much as you want." The amount
you eat is "equal" to the amount you
- Hurry! Run as fast as you can!
- Study as hard as possible.
are expressed with "as...as". For
- I'm 22. My friend is twice as old as
me. She's 44 years old.
- My aunt is three times as old as me.
- And my grandmother is four times as old
as me. She's 88 years old.
- Jenny is also 22 years old. She's the same